Sunday, February 24, 2008

Artist Statement



In my paintings I endeavor to express my own vision of reality. It is not a tangible reality, but one that evokes a particular magic in each human being, one in constant conflict. My visual aesthetic proposition symbolizes the passing of time in an ethereal atmosphere, where forces constantly fight to meet their point of equilibrium to find the inner, always hidden, other face of the human being that is on the no-time reality. I try to create a universality of expression that allows perhaps for the present to meet the future.

I want the viewers to discover themselves in each part of my work. I create art as a mirror image that would push the development of new structures as an internal process full of discoveries and also conflict. I try to look for a greater interaction between the work and the spectator, to try to engage viewers to look for new meaning inside their beings.

I work with icons that I have created mostly on my own, using sometimes gold as an expression of our external-internal struggle between our many different selves, our private and our own ambiguity. In my work there is always a tension between different parts of the design. Trying to express the internal contradiction that is always life is why I mostly paint just mere insinuations of bodies in constant transformation. Bodies and organic forms that are, even after I finish my paintings, in a constant transformation like in our memories after things happen. Those organic forms are always looking for a reality inside another reality which is itself a contradiction.

Later on I have understood more about my aesthetic creation as the expression of my inner searching to show by a visual media the hidden, the unreal reality in which I work. Painting for me is a process of discovery. To create a canvas has become an ongoing experience that never ends. There are always new details to look at which earlier may have been missed. There is also integrated my idea of trying to notice things that some may overlook, or take for granted, to express all my obsessions as well as the transformation that I witness around me. In fact, my work now is about how I perceive the process of time and how we live in a constant process of adding feeling, memories, perceptions, pain as well as happiness, transforming our own complexity. Each time I begin to work on a new piece, I have no conscious idea of where it will go or what part of me it will touch. Each studio session becomes in a way a time of meditation. My work is not only an intuitive process; it is an internal look exposing myself in order to provoke the viewer.

No comments: